Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Relocating


This past summer I saw this sign down in Nashville, IN.  It really made an impression on me.  I thought, “That’s where I want our camp to permanently reside.  Camp Joy.”  You can see by the sign it's been around for a long time - since the beginning.

At church we learned this acronym:

Jesus
Others
Yourself

To have true Joy, you have to focus on these three things and in this order.  My problem was my Joy was thrown into a word scramble.

For a while (too long), I've been living in camp O.J.  Trying first to please everyone else and finding time for Jesus too, but sometimes he’s second to pleasing everyone else.  There are several problems with this camp, and that’s why I finally decided to move. 

First, you cannot please everyone all of the time.  In fact, there are some people you can never please.  Also, trying to people please is not pleasing to God.  Our primary focus should always be on glorifying Him and knowing Him more intimately.  The extent of our responsibilities to Others is to love them as ourselves, forgive them as God has forgiven us, and extend to them the lovingkindness that God has shown us.

Second, when we try to people please, it always removes Jesus from the top spot.  Thus, JOY turns into OJY or even just OJ.

Thirdly, you cannot eliminate the Y.  Yes, you do need to focus on Jesus and Others first, but you have to take care of yourself.  When you remove the Y, it affects your self-care, emotional health, motivation, and esteem.  Plus, too much O.J. ends up making you very acidic – bitter.  How is that glorifying to God?  How can that be a great testimony to others?  It can’t be, so I knew I had to get out!  Seeing this sign reinforced it.  It was as if God said, “Hey, why don’t you join me again in Camp Joy?  You've been in Camp O.J. too long.”

So here I am slowly moving back in to Camp Joy.  You’d think it would be an easy move, but it’s not.  Bad habits are hard to break, but I’m getting there and asking for continued Grace and Lovingkindness along the way.

Do you reside in Camp Joy or do you find yourself residing in a different camp?  If you reside in a different camp, take a good look in the mirror and start today making the changes necessary to relocate with me to Camp Joy.  I guarantee it will be the best move you ever made!

And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with singing, With everlasting joy on their heads.  They shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.  ~Isaiah 35:10

No comments:

Post a Comment